Dental implants are quickly becoming the most popular choice for people who are missing some or all of their teeth, and there’s no question why. Dental implants are fixed, sturdy, and more natural looking and feeling than dentures.
Odds are that if you’re healthy enough to undergo a routine dental procedure, you’re healthy enough to receive dental implants.
Candidates For Dental Implants
Dental implants are a good option for anyone who:
- Is currently wearing dentures. Dental implants are much more natural and stable replacements for your removable dentures.
- Suffers from bone loss. Dental implants are able to prevent any further bone loss resulting from missing teeth. This bone retention will help preserve your remaining teeth and your facial structure.
- Has suffered or currently suffers from gum disease. If your teeth have been lost due to gum disease, you have a very high dental implant success rate. Dental implants have proven to be a very effective solution to tooth loss due to gum disease.
Most people are good candidates for dental implants, however, there are a few issues that may affect your candidacy. Of course, it all depends on your unique circumstances and preferences. If any of the following are true for you, it’s important to give us a call to discuss your candidacy for dental implants.
- If you currently use tobacco products. Chewing or smoking tobacco can significantly lower the success rate of your dental implants. This doesn’t mean you won’t ever be able to receive implants, but we strongly encourage you to quit all tobacco products before your dental implant surgery.
- If you suffer from certain chronic diseases. Health problems such as diabetes and high blood pressure may require extra precautions to be taken during your dental implant surgery. Please let your dentist or Dr. Matthew Schacht know if you suffer from a chronic disease before undergoing your surgery.
For more information on dental implants or if you need to make an appointment with Dr. Schacht, please contact Denver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery located here in Denver, CO.